Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tour de Garage

The days are shorter and the temperatures are getting colder. That means it is time to move inside for a lot of our rides. Like most of you I use videos that tell me exactly what to do and keep my motivation up. Also like most of you, I have limited number of those videos. Over the last few years I have done a lot of indoor workouts. At the fire station I would set up my bike or run on the treadmill for my workouts. Sometimes I had a TV/video access and sometimes not. Also our team regularly met for indoor group rides in which I would lead them through a workout. I have kept track of all these workouts, with the hope one day of maybe putting them in a book. I have 12 credits to complete for my degree in Exercise Science at ODU. I figured the degree might add credibility to a book. Its just something I have thought of over the years. Regardless, I thought I would share some of my workouts with everyone. You can try them and let me know what you think.

A lot of my trainer workouts are in modules. Meaning a warm up, then 2 or 3 modules that you can put together to form the full workout. So once a week I will post my warm up, a module then the cool down.

Here's the first one:

Warm up
(small ring/15) Start cadence at 80 rpm. Increase by 10 rpm every minute for a total of 5 minutes (120 rpm)

Rest 1 minute

(big ring/15) 30 seconds at a 90% effort, 30 seconds recovery for 3 sets

Rest 2 minutes

Crit finish module
(big ring/15) 40 seconds with cadence 100+ rpm with 20 seconds rest. Repeat 4 times. Rest 5 minutes. Repeat for another 4 reps.

Tip: This workout should burn your legs. If not move to a harder gear or increase your trainer setting.

Cool down:
(small ring/15) Start cadence at 120 rpm. Decrease by 10 rpm every 1 minute for 5 minutes.
Continue to soft pedal for another 2-5 minutes.
Stretch.

Hope you like the workout.

4 comments:

Stormyva said...

That sounds like a "fun" workout! A set or two of 3x 1 minute one leg drills in the big/12 would round it out nicely and bring some technique into it.

fire fitness and bikes said...

The one legged intervals sounds good. I actually have a couple of workouts that include one legged drills. Stay tuned for next weeks module.

Kevin said...

Or you could "man up" and ride outside! We had a very nice ride out in Norfolk to Ipswich and back followed up with pizza and beer at Cogans!!!

Tomorrow is you know where... Cmon out! My house post ride

Stormyva said...

"Man up" and ride outside.... the wonderful thing about this time of year is leaving the house to go to work in the dark and then leaving work to head home in the dark. Something about riding during rush hour in the Hampton Roads are after dark brings out the wuss in me :)
That pizza and beer at Cogans sounds awesome though!