Friday, August 27, 2010

A Change in Focus for Next Year

I alluded to a fact that I was going to slightly change focus for next year.  This year I focused on crit racing.  I had a really good off/pre-season and was able to maintain form throughout the year without any real peaks or valleys.  I did better this year than I ever have.

One of the junior racers that I am coaching is turning 17 next year.  He is at the age that if he wants to do something with cycling he has to make his move now.  Even if his goal is a college scholarship, he needs to race something other than crits.  So I told him that I would train more for road races and travel with him a few times during the year.

I have not picked out events yet to race with him.  However, I have picked out a race to focus my entire season on.  It is a late season race held in New York in late August:

http://2011wpfg.org/

The World Police & Fire Games are coming to New York City August 26 through September 5, 2011. Come join us for ten days of sports competition and specially planned events, which will respectfully coincide with the ten year remembrance of September 11, 2001.
The New York City Police Department, The New York City Fire Department, The Port Authority Police Department, and the New York City Department of Corrections are inviting you to experience our City and participate in the most memorable World Police & Fire Games ever. Spread throughout the five Boroughs, the city that never sleeps will be the setting for the world’s largest multi-sport, Olympic style event. As many as 20,000 full time firefighters and law enforcement personnel from 70 different countries are expected to compete in 65 sports.
Bring the family and experience it for yourself. See the lights on Broadway, the neon signs in Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and so much more. Life is not a spectator sport and neither are the 2011 World Police & Fire games in New York City.

This "Olympic" style event is held around the world every two years.  It is competitive and I am looking forward to competing it them next year.

No comments: