Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The New Me. Septoplasty.

I have had a deviated septum for as long as I could remember.  Although I think for daily activities I could breathe just fine, I was for sure a mouth breather while working out, slightest sign of a cold or if I had just really big boogers.  What's a mouth breather?



I don't know when it happened.  Maybe I was born with it that way or maybe it was when I was a kid playing baseball and took a ball to the face.


 
 
It could have been worse.



Well I had surgery, septoplasty, on Tuesday 1/5/10.  I got the splints taken out yesterday.  The recovery was pretty easy.  I have heard a lot of horror stories on recover from this surgery but mine was pretty easy.  I felt like I had a cold for a week.  I feel right now like I am getting over a cold.  My nose is still sore and the area around it is a little tender.  I am no longer restricted on doing anything although I am going to have to take another shift off because the doctor doesn't want me to have to wear a mask for another few days.

I am really looking forward to be able to have a conversation while on the bike, or eat a powerbar while riding.  These are tasks that have always been hard because I couldn't breathe through my nose.  My wife is hoping that after the swelling is completely gone (another 3 weeks) that my nose will be smaller...i doubt it.

 

Post a Comment