Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The New Me. Septoplasty.

I have had a deviated septum for as long as I could remember.  Although I think for daily activities I could breathe just fine, I was for sure a mouth breather while working out, slightest sign of a cold or if I had just really big boogers.  What's a mouth breather?



I don't know when it happened.  Maybe I was born with it that way or maybe it was when I was a kid playing baseball and took a ball to the face.


 
 
It could have been worse.



Well I had surgery, septoplasty, on Tuesday 1/5/10.  I got the splints taken out yesterday.  The recovery was pretty easy.  I have heard a lot of horror stories on recover from this surgery but mine was pretty easy.  I felt like I had a cold for a week.  I feel right now like I am getting over a cold.  My nose is still sore and the area around it is a little tender.  I am no longer restricted on doing anything although I am going to have to take another shift off because the doctor doesn't want me to have to wear a mask for another few days.

I am really looking forward to be able to have a conversation while on the bike, or eat a powerbar while riding.  These are tasks that have always been hard because I couldn't breathe through my nose.  My wife is hoping that after the swelling is completely gone (another 3 weeks) that my nose will be smaller...i doubt it.

 

2 comments:

Dave K said...

Joshua -
Congrats on doing this. Can you post periodic followups about how it's going and if the benefits are noticeable? My ENT doctor has described my nose as "a sort of coral reef for boogers" and my team mates frequently show up for rides wearing Tyvek biohazard suits, knowing that I am going to snot rocket immeasurable quantities at alarmingly short intervals. The feeling of drowning on a bicycle is one I know well. Thanks
Dave

Badboys said...

its do funny pictures lol

septoplasty recovery