Friday, June 19, 2009

Who Treaded on Who?

It is sad to see that the Blacksburg Cycling Classic had to be canceled because of lack of participation. As a promoter I know those guys spent thousands of hours developing the road course, time trial and crit. All the effort ended up in a low turnout and consequential canceling of the event.

I'll be the first to say that I did not sign up for it. I had requested the weekend off from work early with anticipation of trying to go for the weekend. That is when I realized the state crit and TT were the same weekend in Richmond. How did this happen?

In a market as small as Virginia, how do two promoters book events on the same weekend. We can't do that. It is not fair to the promoters or to the racers. So here's my question:

Who treaded on who? I don't remember which one was sceduled first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Tour of Washington County is also going on in MD this weekend, which is no doubt pulling a lot of NoVa and DC riders. As far as who treaded on who, that's water under the bridge. Let's just be sure it doesn't happen again.

Karen said...

Well the state tt was scheduled in October and approved for its date in Nov. at the VAcycling meeting. By the way, its been held on the same weekend for years now. The crit replaced Bradens crit on the calendar. And the Blacksburg races were not even BAR races and they were not put on any calendar until a month ago.
Question answered. I was sorry to see them have to cancel. We supported them last year and in such a remote location, they need to pull riders from out of the area. I as asked to officiate... wish I coulda helped them! corhttas

Nerf said...

So here's my 2 cents...

If you have a race that's a "State 'anything'" that race SHOULD be the most important event. Aren't those the ones that count towards the Omnium?! If you're trying to "piggy back" a race onto another weekend....on the other side of the world....I personally think it's that particular promoter's fault for trying to do it.

Josh you're right in that they spent a LOT of time & headache, as well as "crack deals", to get it all set up. WHY ON EARTH would you try to put it on the SAME WEEKEND as a state championship event?!?! That's just poor, or no, planning IMHO.