Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Too much racing, not enough legs.

On Saturday, John Gray and I packed up and headed to GFTL round 3. The Cat 3/4 race was a blast. It was fast from the go and never let up. I did what I could but I just didn't have what it took for the finish. I ended up mid pack around 22 I think. Hats off to everyone in that race. It didn't seem like anyone just sat in for the finish. Everyone made that race fast.

On Sunday I was feeling good. Maybe too good. I was a little over zealous and registered for the Master's 30+, Cat 3 and the Pro/1/2/3.

Since I was the only VBW in the 30+ race, and I had a lot more racing left in the day, I sat in for the final 10 laps and tried to conserve energy. Chuck Hutch and Keck Baker destroyed us and both took off early. Chuck soloed to the finish for the win. Afterwards he said that was probably the best thing for him because he was able to ride a steady paced race and he was less tired for the Pro/1/2/3. For the rest of us, we covered attacks and it was a typical sprint and coast race. I ended up 7th, which wasn't too bad.

The race I wanted to do well on was the Cat 3. We had Mike, Tim, Kyle and myself in the race. It started out good and I was feeling strong. With about 10 laps to go, both of my thighs started cramping. I tucked in and tried to recover. I was in good positioning for the sprint, but the legs cramped and I had to sit up. Shoot. I thought that was going to be a good race for me. Oh well, there is always next year.

My post for the Pro/1/2/3 is simple. I held in for the first 10 minutes (give or take). I wasn't the first to pull out and I sure wasn't the last. Once again Chuck stayed on the attack and Hosang, who said he was feeling bad, was able to stay up with him. Good job to everyone. It was a great way to end the season. I know some have some more races, but I am looking to cyclocross now.

No comments: