Sunday, December 21, 2008

What did you do?

Base building season is upon us (or approaching for some). For most people the weekend is the time to get the extra saddle time. So what do you do when you wake up and its raining, windy and cold? Here are the options:

  1. Suck it up. Get on the fixed gear or your crappy weather bike and ride. My brother and I call these rides Belgium Rides. It builds more character then fitness I think.
  2. Go off road. Weather seems to matter less when you are on a trail. So mountain bike or cross bike and hit the trails. Not only will you be working on your base miles but also your bike handling skills.
  3. Go indoors. Probably the best way to preserve your health, but not you mind. Too many hours on an indoor trainer could land you in an institution.
  4. Forget about it. You could always use the line..."Its December, I'll start my miles next week."
So this morning for most of us the weather was bad. I saw on Facebook that a handful of faithful (Liz, Jimmy D, I think Kevin skipped it) were heading to Freedom for some trail riding. I saw T. Karnes claim to plan on a 6.5 hour trainer ride...did that happen?

As for me, I opted for the indoor experience. 1 hour 35 minutes controlling my heart rate and watching some football. Good saddle time for this time of year, and I felt real good about it.

What did you do today?

7 comments:

John Gray said...

Went for the indoor ride for and hour and half. Watching a movie.

Jesse said...

I've committed to doing nothing until it is consistently over 40 degrees. :)

bryan said...

I'm in Nebraska -- it's snowy now. 6 hours this weekeend. All on the trainer.

I fear for my sanity.

Wick said...

suck it up and go on the spare bike. still sucks, but better than the trainer.

Jimmy D said...

I just try and stay off the trainer as long as possible. I know Jan/feb will give me plenty of time on it then, so I do what I can to get outside.

T.Karnes said...

6.5 didnt happen. Me and Elliott got about 3.5 in that day. Watching batman 1.5 times got boring. I cant take much more on the trainer. Nonetheless, it was a good ride.
Warning: Dont try this at home. Extended periods of time on the trainer can result in serious mental health issues and wanting to ride your bike into the wall.

Nerf said...

You can get all the benefits of a MTB ride inside. Just ride your rollers with cats around!!! You get the miles in, you work on your handling skills & you can work on your "crash avoidance" all at the same time!! What a deal!!! :)