Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why do you ride?

The new edition of Road Bike Action gives the answer Why We Ride. Here are some of my favorite responses:
  • Blurred lines of pleasure and pain.
  • Because its the only sport that let's you sit down most of the time.
  • I ride so I can live longer and then I can ride longer so I can live longer...
  • Because it gives me another excuse to wear tights.
So why do you ride? I ride for a number of reasons. Health, fitness and the love of the sport are all the obvious reasons. But also because I like doing things that most of my friends at work don't know anything about. When I am riding my cross bike through the woods or my time trial bike through rural back roads, I think to myself, this is part of America that is not seen. And those that drive those roads may see them, but they don't experience them.

Its kind of like being a firefighter. When you see fire, and see how it reacts up close. And you feel that heat and hear the sounds, you are experiencing something that most people will not.

Cycling is a great sport. It is sponsored at the amateur level. Large companies give you money to ride your bike...that should make anyone feel good.

I have also made many new friends through cycling. Most of those friends have come to be closer because of this blog.

So I ride because it is part of who I am.

Why do you ride?

4 comments:

Jennifer Shockley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Shockley said...

Why do I ride? My list is endless: *for the adrenaline rush.
*the natural high I get off of the endorphines.
*get a better understand of my husband & be closer to him.
*keeps me in shape/mentally & physically.
*the pain feels good.
*be a part of the group
#1: My bike is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I bike because there is nothing else better to do..........Todd Helmick

Marco said...

Because I've always done it...