Monday, November 24, 2008

Course Poaching. Right or Wrong?

If promoter A has been using a course for many years, is it wrong for promoter B to decide they are also going to hold a race on the same course?

What if promoter B was the promoter who came up with the course many years before but had not used it for a period of two consecutive years. That is when promoter A took over the course and has used it ever since.

I attended the VCA meeting yesterday and this scenario is probably the thing the bothered me the most. Is course poaching right or wrong? Does a promoter "own" a course? I am not talking about the Sportsplex. That course was built for bike racing and can be used by any promoter. But I'm talking about the courses that require contacts to be made and leg work to be done.

Comments?

1 comment:

KMAX said...

Shouldn't we be promoting any races possible?

I wouldn't see a given course as belonging to any one promoter; instead the chance to add another race fairly easily to the racing calender should be jumped at whenever possible.

Just my $0.02