Saturday, March 28, 2009

Grit in my teeth ride.

I don't know if I've been fighting something or just stretched thin lately. I didn't feel a whole lot of stress from promoting the Smackdown, however rescheduling it did add more work and another level of stress. So from that, training, work and school I think I had been a little over extended.

Following the Dismal Dash (in which I felt good), I felt really good at our strength session on the following Tuesday (really good). The next day I rode easy outside then intervals at APT in the evening. Between those two rides I started getting body aches. I had to stop the intervals early from a lack of energy. I thought I was getting sick but, it never happened. For the next 3 or 4 days though, I had body aches throughout the day. So I took it easy (like no workouts) from that Wednesday to the Smackdown on Sunday. Then I tried to promote the race plus race the Cat 3 and the Pro/1/2/3 races. I felt okay, but not great.

During the next week, I never felt good on the bike. Still felt run down. Monday, Tuesday...no good. So once again I took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off the bike. I was looking forward to a ride on Saturday morning. My motivation was high, which was apparent because when I woke up the ground was wet.

But I put on the arm warmers, knee warmers and grab my rain jacket. I felt good for the first time in a couple of weeks. I only road the first Conte's ride but put in a good sprint at First Court. It was nice to get out and want to be out.

Sometimes it takes a little time off to recover and sometimes it takes a ride in which you get grit in your teeth to feel good again. Back on the training plan hard on Monday. For now, I am going up to Maryland for a welcome home party for a friend.

1 comment:

nPlusOne said...

There are many trainers who prescribe the 3 weeks on/1 week rest regiment. Sounds like your body just needed a recovery week.