Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What I would have said.

Last night I went to the Virginia Beach City Council meeting to show support for funding on the expansion of the bike race course/track at the Sportsplex. I think it was great for many riders and racers to show up from many different teams. Tom Coghill from TBA spoke on behalf of the riders. I appreciate all the work that man has done for cycling in this region. Tom is very passionate about this stuff and I fully agree with some of his reasons to get this track built. At some point, though, I felt embarrassed for being there in support of this. Here's what was said:

  • Too many cyclist get hit by vehicles in the City of Virginia Beach.
  • Too many health issues are related to sedentary lifestyles and these can be fixed by suppling a safe location for young cyclist to get into the sport.
  • The City spends too much money on things that are truly unimportant.
At the point that Tom seemed to be personally attacking the Council members was the point that I started to feel uncomfortable. I love the City of Virgina Beach. I like the fact that we are expanding a large Town Center and attracting larger hotels and businesses to our oceanfront. I have no desire to live in small town USA and am excited about the growth of our city. So I agree that the council spends a lot of money to try and increase the status of the city. But whats unimportant to us could be vitally important to another citizen. Tom mentioned many city projects that were a waste of money..but maybe they are a waste to Tom only. If the city wanted to build a stadium used exclusively for ping pong many cyclist would cry out saying it was a waste of money...but what if your life was focused around ping pong. There are many citizens who feel $350,000 spent on a bike course is a waste of money. Actually if you took a pole, more citizens of the Beach would probably vote against it then for it. So trying to shame the council into excepting it was not what I would have done.

What I would have said:
  • According to USA Cycling there are 7 cycling teams who list Virginia Beach as their home location.
  • In 2007 there were 40+ races (including training races) in the state of Virginia, 0 of them were held in Virginia Beach. Which means all 7 of those local teams left the city and spent their money somewhere else each weekend.
  • In 2008 after the crit course was built at the Sportsplex, over 20 races will be held in Virgina Beach (including training races). Which means the other 27 teams that call Virginia their home will come into the City of Virginia Beach and spend their money here.
  • Of those 7 teams that call Virgina Beach home, think about the number of riders those teams represent and think of the businesses in which support those teams. I don't have specific figures on this but if we compiled a list of Virginia Beach based businesses who would love to see riders wearing their logos locally, we would probably have a very influential list.
So although I appreciate the effort of those who spoke, I just don't agree with the tactics. There were many angry citizens who did nothing but criticize the Council and I felt we were not very disconnected from those individuals.

I know what some of you are thinking and I agree. I don't have room to talk because I did not speak at the meeting. I was there in a support role and didn't even think about talking. This is me simply being the Wednesday quarterback.

But anyway we had a pretty good showing and only time will tell what will happen. Council Woman Hennely stated the project is still in the planning phase and that is why it seems like nothing has happened. Many cuts have been made to City projects and I probably wouldn't hold my breathe for this to happen soon.

Thanks for all who come out.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

Seems to me that we need a pre council meeting...
Good points brother!

Stormyva said...

I had to miss the meeting... but I agree with what you say. What I wonder though is how much will that City really be able to recoup on the investing more in a cycling course there. I personally believe, and many will disagree, that the money may be better spent expanding shoulders and other bike routes in other areas of the City.

Anonymous said...

You are right on target Josh.... which is why some others stayed away... I shudder sometimes at the people who represent the "face" of cycling in Va Beach - I've had some very interesting conversations with City Officials who really didn't have a good grasp of cycling within the City because they only get input from a few outspoken people... some of whom have no idea of how to win friend and influence people.

nPlusOne said...

Thanks for supporting by attending the meeting. Work got in the way of me getting out there.

Was there any input from the running community? I know the Tidewater Striders and other clubs could utilize the 5k loop for races.

Unknown said...

I was on the bicycle advisory council in Ithaca NY when I worked for the Mayor (The stories I could tell you about rabid bike commuters and council meetings!!). How you approach people about issues whether it be cycling or ping pong has a lasting impact on how they perceive your cause or issue. Verbally attacking anyone puts them on the defensive rendering what you say obsolete and there-by leaving a negative reflection on your cause or issue as a whole. Your stated approach would have been great because you give facts and statistics. In dealing with govn't officials they want to see the impacts and positive outcomes, not be reminded of what they did or didn't do. Maybe you can smooth over the debacle with a face-to face meeting with the facts and figures? Just a thought :)

fire fitness and bikes said...

I sent the council an email explaining those points and apologizing for the eye poking.

Anonymous said...

Not to support Tom's abuse of the council people, but you need to keep in mind that he (and the TBA people that carry the "crazy" reputation with the minucipal people) have likely been taking the "reasonalbe" approach for years with no results. He cancelled the Tom Coghill ride last year for that reason, remember? I can understand his frustration. Who here hasn't lashed out when people won't listen to something that appears to be common sense? If you guys think that a different approach is warranted, maybe it's time for some of you people with free time to take the lead on these issues and let the frustrated folks off of the hook.

Anonymous said...

every lane is a bike lane?????i love riding around vabeach!!!!!!!!what`s the problem???????try riding around chesapeake ,norfolk, or god forbid portsmouth.......