Friday, December 28, 2007

American Flyers

Last night I rode a hill workout on the trainer while watching American Flyers. It has been a long time since I have seen this movie. I remembered why I liked it so much. My brother and I have raced since we were kids. My dad's bike commuting life got us hooked on the sport. For the first year we were on the same team, but raced a different category. After that we were always on different teams. I don't know why that was, but it always worked out that way. After he joined the Air Force and moved away, we stopped racing and riding together. Last year he moved back to Hampton Roads and took up the sport. Only this time he joined the Virginia Beach Wheelmen. Last year was the first year we have ridden together in the same uniform since I was 13 and he was 15.

Watching that movie last night reminding me of this. Especially the part where Marcus was asking David to race the Hell of the West with him. That they were brothers and may never get a chance to race together again. I am glad we both got back into the sport and the time has finally come for us to race as teammates and brothers. This is why I like this picture so much. Its a long time coming.
By the way. For those that don't know James, watch out for him. Last year was his coming back year but its not what he focused on. 2008 is a year that he is using the first half of the season to get in the best shape of his life for an Ironman competition in September. Back in the day he was a very powerful racer...watch for that form to return.

No comments: