Sunday, June 8, 2008

Virginia Senor State Championship

Summer decided to hit Hampton Roads hard this weekend. With no place to get out of the sun, the heat became a big factor at the race at the Sportsplex in Virginia Beach. In the Cat 4's race teammate John Gray scored a fourth place and Kyle the Kid finished shortly behind him in the pack. Both raced smart and did efforts to keep it a pack finish.

I raced the Cat 3. It wasn't a steady fast race but with all the attacks and the heat it ended up being a hard race.


As you can see the jersey were open as well as the mouths. (Check out the cool VBW compression shirts we had made. They helped keep me a little bit cooler.) There were many attacks and although I was the only one from my team I did what I could when I could to help close them. With 6 or 7 laps to go a break was up the road that looked like it would last.



Bender had been riding strong and always has the potential to succeed in a break. The pack had just started to work together taking short, fast pulls at the front. Again I was doing what I could. Kazane racing had a number of guys they finally got organized and I started working with them. I took a pull through a turn and suddenly Kazane gave up on the chase and I found myself solo. I tried to bridge to this group. I got closer to them then the pack was to me at one point.


But I didn't have what it took to finish it and ended up going back to the pack and finishing among them. Bender took the win.



Good job. He later mixed it up in the Cat 1,2,3 race.

I talked to a couple of people that I had never met before this weekend. After my race during my cool down I talked with Chuck from Harley Davidson. He is a really cool guy and I was glad to see you out there mixing it up giving those Richmond Pro guys a hard time (last time they were at the Sportsplex they took the top 5 places in their race). I didn't stick around to see the finish but I'm sure you did fine.



Also it was good to talk with a fellow blogger and fellow GamJams ambassador Kyle Jones aka pedalnaround.
Hope your TT went well.

As for my TT, it was not great but it could have been worse. As other people told me..at least I looked fast.

All photos in this post were taken by Leah Nisbet. More photos could be seen at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/L3ahNiz/SeniorStateChampionships6708Lbn
Also check out her photo blog. Link is on my blog link...Journey Through Life Photography.



8 comments:

Chuck Hutcheson said...

Hey, nice meetig you. Thanks for the shout out!

Kyle Jones said...

Dude the TT was so hot today and the crit was just as bad. I have never seen feeding in a crit. It was amazing I finished both days.

I started my stop watch right when they sent me and I got 53:45 according to my watch when I crossed the line. They said it was 55:27 which is wrong. My team mate said on his garmin he got 54:10 and they scored him with a 55:40. Not that my time would have won but would like to have the posted time correct. How did you do?

My minute guy was a VBW. That was not you I do not think. I was rider 150. I was riding with just clip ons, nothing else. Took me 6.5 miles to catch.

It was also nice meeting you.

Unknown said...

My time was initially UNREAL-fast, but officially I was scored correctly, a modest (for a cat2) 54:10.

chuck and ben king MADE THAT RACE. Jeff Brandon got the win, and it was deserved because he made a LONG bridge to get there. Hutch was the motor of the day, absolutely. Ben missed out on the fun...not sure why.

Anonymous said...

I think someone broke up Richmond pro's total sweep last time they were down but 4 out 5 still ain't bad.... but that break this time looked nasty - if a little unorganized. Was the guy from Richmond working or blocking?

Kevin said...

that Bese layer is Hot, I mean cool !


Turn anonymous off please

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fire fitness and bikes said...

I guess I will activate the moderator.