Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tour de Garage

The days are shorter and the temperatures are getting colder. That means it is time to move inside for a lot of our rides. Like most of you I use videos that tell me exactly what to do and keep my motivation up. Also like most of you, I have limited number of those videos. Over the last few years I have done a lot of indoor workouts. At the fire station I would set up my bike or run on the treadmill for my workouts. Sometimes I had a TV/video access and sometimes not. Also our team regularly met for indoor group rides in which I would lead them through a workout. I have kept track of all these workouts, with the hope one day of maybe putting them in a book. I have 12 credits to complete for my degree in Exercise Science at ODU. I figured the degree might add credibility to a book. Its just something I have thought of over the years. Regardless, I thought I would share some of my workouts with everyone. You can try them and let me know what you think.

A lot of my trainer workouts are in modules. Meaning a warm up, then 2 or 3 modules that you can put together to form the full workout. So once a week I will post my warm up, a module then the cool down.

Here's the first one:

Warm up
(small ring/15) Start cadence at 80 rpm. Increase by 10 rpm every minute for a total of 5 minutes (120 rpm)

Rest 1 minute

(big ring/15) 30 seconds at a 90% effort, 30 seconds recovery for 3 sets

Rest 2 minutes

Crit finish module
(big ring/15) 40 seconds with cadence 100+ rpm with 20 seconds rest. Repeat 4 times. Rest 5 minutes. Repeat for another 4 reps.

Tip: This workout should burn your legs. If not move to a harder gear or increase your trainer setting.

Cool down:
(small ring/15) Start cadence at 120 rpm. Decrease by 10 rpm every 1 minute for 5 minutes.
Continue to soft pedal for another 2-5 minutes.
Stretch.

Hope you like the workout.

Post a Comment